As a parent, you may feel uncertain about the best choice of dentist for your child. In addition to choosing one who is qualified and experienced in working with children with special needs, it’s important to find a dentist that your child feels comfortable with as well.
At River City Pediatric Dentistry, our focus is to build connections with all of our patients from infancy to early adulthood, each with their own distinct characteristics and needs. We are experienced in caring for children with special needs and are aware of the particular characteristics of these patients and how to treat children whose development has been delayed or those who experience sensory, emotional, or physical difficulties.
Children with special needs may require more time, patience, and understanding than other children during dental treatment. Bringing your child to River City Pediatric Dentistry will ensure safety, ease of treatment, high-quality care, and of course a positive experience for your child. Call our office today to schedule an appointment!
Why Choose a Pediatric Dentist for Children with Special Needs?
Pediatric dentists place a greater emphasis on children and their special needs than other types of dentists. Receiving up to two extra years of training following dental school, these specialists are professionals in the discipline of working with all children.
Pediatric dentists are equipped with the skills, strategies, and techniques needed to connect with special needs children and bring them comfort during every appointment. They are trained to provide children with a comfortable dental experience and collaborate with parents to produce the best outcomes.
The following is a list of additional benefits of choosing a pediatric dentist for your child:
- Treatment & comfort – A pediatric dentist is trained to provide treatment and comfort in a way that is appropriate for your child at every age or developmental level, from infancy through adolescence.
- Developmental concerns – A pediatric dentist is knowledgeable in child development and understands how to treat children who are medically compromised or have special needs.
- Prevention – Pediatric dentists emphasize preventive care to help your child avoid cavities and other dental problems that can result from sticky foods, sugary drinks, and prolonged contact between these substances and their teeth.
- Patient-focused – Pediatric dentists are trained to focus on your child’s individual needs, not just the condition of their teeth.
- Fear reduction – A pediatric dentist is well-versed in how to comfort children who fear or are anxious about dental procedures.
- Caring support team – A pediatric dentist will have team members trained to provide your child with a positive, caring experience at every visit. They know that dental visits are a big deal for kids, and they make an effort to ensure a great attitude from the entire team.
- Early detection – A pediatric dentist is well qualified to catch any early signs of dental problems in your child, so that they can be treated as soon as possible.